Maryland Table Tennis Center Welcomes Coach Cheng Wang
by Larry Hodges
Coach Wang with Nicole Deng at the 2019 US Open in Fort Worth, Texas.
Maryland Table Tennis Center is thrilled to announce the addition of the highly esteemed Coach Cheng Wang to its team. With a long and rich history in table tennis, Coach Wang is poised to help elevate the training and performance of our club's talented players. He joins a staff that includes Cheng Yinghua, Jack Huang, Wang Qingliang, Lidney Castro, Bruno Ventura Dos Anjos, and Larry Hodges - a team that includes three hall of famers and eight coach of the year awards. Cheng Wang will only add to this.
A Stellar Background
Cheng Wang is no stranger to success in the world of table tennis. In China, he was a member of the Guangxi Province Team in China, representing them in numerous tournaments. He won a Hunan Province Singles Championship in 2011, and the following year won the National Rising Star Cup Singles. In 2014 he finished in the Top Eight at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Invitational. In the US, among his many titles he was the 2017 Westchester Under 2500 Champion; the 2017 4-star Edge-Ball Chicago Invitational finalist in doubles and fifth in singles; and finished third in singles at the 2019 Southeast Open. He's also an ITTF Certified Level 1 Coach with many years of experience, including many years coaching at the Northern Virginia TT Center.
A Fresh Start at Maryland Table Tennis Center
When NVTTC recently closed, Cheng Wang was quickly welcomed as a coach at MDTTC. It heralds an exciting new chapter for, Wang, MDTTC, and its up-and-coming players. His knowledge, experience, and commitment to excellence will no doubt boost the training and competitive edge of our players. For example, one of his past students in Virginia was Nicole Deng, who dominated her age group for several years, winning Under 13 Girls' Singles and Teams (mini-cadets) at the 2019 US Open and winning the 2018 USATT National Ranking Tournament for Under 12 (Hopes), and winning again in 2019 for Under 13 (mini-cadets). She also won Gold in Under 13 and Under 15 Singles & Teams at the 2019 World Junior International tournament in El Salvador.
Cheng Wang coaching at MDTTC's youth training program with Stanley Hsu practicing at the table. Gaithersburg, Maryland. 2023.
Cheng Wang will be working closely with some of the rising junior stars at MDTTC. His proven record as a player and coach will help them tremendously. The MDTTC junior program has about 70 players. Here's a small listing of some of the rising stars - with apologies to all the excellent players not listed.
- Stanley Hsu, 14, 2472 - He won Under 15 Boys' Singles, Doubles, and Mixed Doubles at the 2023 US Nationals. At the 2023 Pan Am Youth Championships, he won Gold in Under 15 Boys' Doubles, Silver in Under 15 Boy's Singles and Teams, and Bronze in Under 15 Mixed Doubles. At the 2023 ITTF Youth Contender he won Silver in Under 15 Boys' Singles.
- Mu Du, 15, 2295 - A member of the US Cadet Boys' Team two years ago, he won Bronze in Under 15 Boys' Doubles at the 2023 US Nationals.
- Ryan Lin, 13, 2277 - the 2022 US National Under 13 Boys' Singles Champion and Top Eight in the ITTF World Hope's Team.
- Winston Wu, 13, 2162 - Finalist in Under 13 Boys' Singles at the 2022 US Nationals.
- William Wu, 17, 2268 - among the top juniors his age in the US.
- James Zhuang, 16, 2263 - among the top juniors his age in the US.
- Samuel Altshuler, 15 - Second place in Para Class 6-7 at the 2022 US Nationals.
- Many more!
Cheng Wang's proven record as both an athlete and a mentor will be instrumental for MDTTC's junior program. His coaching excellence and enthusiasm align perfectly with the goals of Maryland Table Tennis Center, which hopes to inspire, nurture, and propel our players to new heights on the national and global stage. With Coach Wang joining the staff, the sky's the limit!