2022 National Team Selection Procedures HPC Meeting Minutes
by USA Table Tennis
High Performance Committee Minutes
December 26, 2021
Committee Chair Jimmy Butler called the Committee Meeting to order at 4:00 pm US Pacific Time.
Committee Members in attendance: Amy Feng, Khoa Nguyen, Tom Feng, Yue Wu, and Committee Chair Butler.
Secretary Recording Minutes:Sean O’Neill.
- Discussion regarding 2021 National Team Adult Selection
- Discussion regarding 2022 National Team Adult Selection
- Discussion regarding the 2022 National Youth Selection
During the last HPC Meeting (December 12, 2021) it was reaffirmed that the players that qualified for the 2021 National Team on May 21-24 in Fort Worth, TX would represent the US in Chengdu, China at the World Team Championships in 2022. This decision was based on the Prospectus/Entry Form (https://teamusa-org-migration.s3.amazonaws.com/USA%20Table%20Tennis/Migration/Documents/default-filename.out) that all players agreed to upon participation in the Trials.
It was also reaffirmed that the same procedures for the 2022 National Youth Trials would follow the same procedure of the 2021 National Youth Trials. Each National Team would have 8 players on each with a rank order for participation in international events and training camps.
- A Round Robin based tournament (February 2022) for U19 & U15 would take place to select positions 2-8 based on final round robin rank order
- A Round Robin based tournament (February 2022) for U17, U13, & U11 would take place to select positions 2-8 based on final round robin rank order
- The National Champions (July 2022) of the U19, U17, U15, U13, & U11 would be placed on their respective 2022 National Youth Teams as the #1 Ranked Player
- If a player that finished in position 2-8 from the trials wins the National Championships, they would be placed #1 and all players behind them would move up one slot
- If a player that wins the National Championships, but didn’t place in positions 2-8 in the trials, they would be placed #1 and everyone would stay the same
- July 26-31 ITTF Pan American Youth Championships U19
- Aug 23-28 ITTF Pan American Youth Championships U15
- Sep 17-24 ITTF Pan American Youth Championships U11 & U13
U19 born on or after January 1, 2003
U17 born on or after January 1, 2005
U15 born on or after January 1, 2007
U13 born on or after January 1, 2009
U11 born on or after January 1, 2011
Jimmy Butler made the following motion for the 2022 US Adult Team Selection Procedures. Amy Feng seconded the motion.
- The highest US Olympic Eligible World ranked male and female player in top 50 will be placed within the top 4 on the 2022 National Team. The ITTF Rankings used will be the date of entry deadline for the 2022 Trials.
- The 2022 US Men’s and Women’s Singles Champions (July 2022) will be placed within the top 4 on the 2022 National Team.
- The remaining 3-8 positions on the 2022 National Team will come from finishing order of the 2022 National Team Trials (May 2022).
- All US Olympic Eligible Players will be eligible to try out for the 2022 National Team. All Team members will follow ITTF Rules and Regulations (World Rankings & Eligibility) to participate in events.
- If USATT Player Progression Grants are available in 2022, player will be required to participate in the 2022 Pan Am Championships (Oct 17-22) and the 2023 World Championships to gain use of these funds.
Additional info – USATT will send 4 male and 4 female players to the 2022 Pan Am Championships and 2023 World Singles/Doubles Championships
Votes – Unanimous 5-0
Meeting concluded at 5pm PST
End. 21 12-26a